Round one of the Barcelona derby goes to Barça

December 20, 2010

It doesn’t seem that long ago since I was wondering if Barça would really be able to step up their game and compete with Real Madrid for the Spanish League title. Coincidentally, that was the moment that Barça DID really start to get things together and the following matches have seen an astounding number of goals, including against their arch-rival.

Following that comment, Barcelona beat Sevilla 5-0; they then went on to beat Getafe and Villarreal 3-1 each; then 8-0 against Almeria; 5-0 against Real Madrid; 3-1 with Osasuna; 5-0 again against Real Sociedad; and now 5-1 in theBcelona derby on Saturday night. The goal tally has been astounding and Barça’s reputation must strike fear into any team the play at the moment – I pity the poor goalkeepers in particular.

In theory Espanyol should have been a fairly tough match, but other teams with an even better reputation have been dropping like flies against this new Barcelona dream team, so why should this be an exception? Perhaps the most unusual feature of the match on Saturday was the lack of goals from Messi; I can’t wait until the league gets going again right at the beginning of the new year to see how this season will play out.

0-1, Pedro (min 19

Sporting Gijón
Zaragoza

Tags: , , , ,

Categorised in: ,

10 Comments

• robert seed says:

Cant see anyone beating them the title theirs

merry christmas and happy new year

• Mark Clarke says:

I believe this is the greatest club football team i have ever witnessed. Some of the football they play is unreal. The Harlem Globetrotters of soccer.

• brian garvey says:

well i thought that they were outstanding last night especially ina derby game im still worried about madrid tho as they are sneaking results they dont deserve but barca look a class in their own at the moment

• Mark Clarke says:

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year enjoy the football

• Mark Clarke says:

‘Real Madrid nothing special, watched them against Seville could see nothing which will worry Barca

• mark bridgehouse says:

this barca side is sensational,it’s an honour to see them play. messi is a legend already and hopefully he will win the world cup in his career to crown him the best ever.saying that, i hope iniesta wins fifa world player of the year, he is so underrated when it comes to awards.

• Dave Pearson says:

Real Madrid remind me this season of Manchester United not playing well but grinding out results.
    Seville were very negative against ten men and when they missed a sitter in the second half I feared Madrid would nick it.
    Baca are playing some of the most exciting club football I have seen and need fear nobody.
    I note Mourhino has gone 143 home league games without a loss we may well have to win or draw there to win the title as all the other sides in the league do not look like taking points off the big two.
    All Baca can do is keep winning.
    Dave

• Osama Khoury says:

Dear Sirs,

Very happy about Barca’s improvement over the last few weeks, a very big fan, Love the scoring frenzy..please redirect my email to new address at top, since my old one has a virus and I’m not using much anymore

Regards

Osama

• OVIE ANDREW .A says:

Thanks lot for the update for 2010,David it has been wondrefull for barca in the spanish league &champions league,looking froward to winning both spanish&champions league at the end of the saeson,long live barca,long live the funs&long live your BOSS.Ovie andrew from Nigeria.

• jack says:

Yes i have been watching the matches and barca were brilliant especially against the grand rivals real madrid.Barca are the best team for me to watch because they help me on my passing and my dribbling ability. Also what do you think of the signing that they made i thought david villa was the best one.I think barca need a good goalkeeper on the bench what about you.lionel messi is unbelievable with his skill and i have been doing some of it in my matches.Just a quick question do the youth teams play like the real barca i hope they do.