Gio leaves BarçaJune 27, 2007
Full name: Giovanni van Bronckhorst
Birthplace: Rotterdam, Holland
Date of Birth: 5th February 1975
Previous Teams: Arsenal, England; Glasgow Rangers, Scotland; RKC Waalwijk, Holland; Feyenoord, Holland; FC Barcelona.
National Squad/Number of Appearances: Holland/60+ Overview
Giovanni van Bronckhorst originally joined Barcelona on loan from Arsenal for the 2003-4 season before making a permanent transfer. He can play in either a left-back or left midfield position – he tends to play as a left-back for the team at the moment. An experienced defensive player, van Bronckhorst also likes to attack and is a proficient and creative crosser of the ball. He has an eye for goal and a strong and successful reputation in deadball/free-kick situations. He transferred back to Feyenoord at the end of the 2006/2007 season from Barcelona.
- Van Bronckhorst was the only Barca player to appear in every game of the 2005-6 Champions league campaign.
- Nicknamed Gio, van Bronckhorst has opted to have his nickname as his shirt name at Barcelona whereas previously his shirt name was van Bronckhorst. It’s thought this was partly done as Spanish commentators find it hard to pronounce the player’s surname.
- Originally signed to Arsenal to replace Emmanuel Petit, van Bronckhorst’s time at the club was marred by injury and he found it hard to break back into the team with the then emergence of players such as Ashley Cole.
- During his time with Barca he has won two Spanish Supercups (2005-6/2006-7), two League Titles (2004-5/2005-6) and the Champions League (2005-6).
- At Feyenoord he won the Dutch Cup in 1994-5.
- At Glasgow Rangers, van Bronckhorst won two League Titles (1998-9/1999-0), the League Cup (1998-9) and two Scottish Cups (1998-9/1999/0).
- Whilst at Arsenal he won the Community Shield (2001-2), the League Title (2001-2) and two Cup Finals (2001-2/2002-3).
- He was one of a record four players shown a red card during the World Cup match against Portugal in 2006 when Holland were knocked out of the competition.
- He is contracted to Barcelona until 2008 and has announced his intention to return to Feyenoord to finish his career there.
Categorised in: Player news