Player Profile – Carles PuyolJune 8, 2007
Full name: Carles Puyol Saforcada
Birthplace: La Pobla de Segur, Spain
Date of Birth: 13th April 1978
Previous Teams: La Pobla de Segur, Spain.
National Squad/Number of Appearances: Spain/60+
Carles Puyol signed to the Barcelona Academy at the age of 17 from which point he moved through the ranks until claiming his spot in the first team in 1999. Originally playing at a right back his skills and impressive work rate saw him successfully adapt to the centre back position. In 2004-5 he lifted the league trophy as captain when Barça won the league.
- Puyol won a Silver Medal at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.
- He is a firm favorite with the Barça fans who appreciate his tenacity, skill and work rate.
- Puyol started his football career as a boy as a goalkeeper before moving on to a striker’s position and then on into defence. His early experience here is one of the reasons that he is such a successful attacking defender.
- He has won two Spanish Supercups (2005-6/2006-7), two League Titles (2004-5/2005-6) and the Champions League (2005-6) with Barcelona.
- In 2002 he was voted the Best Right-Back In Europe by UEFA and, in the 2006 season, he was awarded the UEFA Club Defender of the Year. In 2005-6 he also won the UEFA Champions League Defender of the year.
- He was Spain’s most played defender in the qualification games for the 2006 World Cup.
- Puyol is under contract to Barcelona until 2010.
- The player is constantly rumoured to be joining Manchester United – much to the horror of the Barça fans!
Categorised in: Player Profile