Player Profile – dos SantosNovember 21, 2007
Full name: Giovani dos Santos Ramirez
Birthplace: Monterrey, Mexico
Date of Birth: 11th May 1989
Previous Teams: Barcelona Youth and B teams.
National Squad/Number of Appearances: Mexico/2
Giovani joined the Barça senior squad this year having progressed through the youth ranks and the Barça B team. He is a naturally left footed player with exceptional speed and dribbling skills. He can play down either wing, in the hole or as a lone striker. He has a good eye for goal, shows good composure in front of goal for his age and has a powerful long range shot.
- Giovani is only the second Mexican player to play for Barcelona.
- He made steady progress through the Barça ranks playing for Infantil A (2002-3), Cadet B (2003-4), Cadet A (2004-5) and Juvenil A (2005-6) He spent the 2006-7 season in the Barça B team.
- The player comes from a footballing family. His brother Jonathan has also spent some time at Barcelona and his father (Zizinho) played for Monterrey in Mexico.
- He was spotted for Barcelona after being scouted in a tournament in the US in 2002
- The player is being called the ‘new Ronaldhino’.
- Giovani was a member of the winning Mexican team in the World Under 17 Championship in 2005 where he was voted second best player of the tournament and received the Silver Ball award. He also played for his country in the World Under 20 Championship in 2007 where he received the Bronze Ball award as the third best player of the tournament even though Mexico were knocked out in the Quarter Finals.
- His first appearance in the senior team at Barça was as a substitute for Thierry Henry against Atletico Bilbao.
- It is rumoured that Barcelona have had to put a £20 million buyout clause in place for the player following reports that Alex Ferguson wanted to sign him for Manchester United and that Chelsea were also showing an interest in the player.
Categorised in: Player Profile