Player Profile – MilitoOctober 22, 2007
Full name: Gabriel Alejandro Milito
Birthplace: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Date of Birth: 7th September 1980
Previous Teams: Zaragoza, Spain; Independiente, Argentina.
National Squad/Number of Appearances: Argentina/25+
Milito is considered to be the perfect centre back. He takes control, has excellent positioning and vision and is a solid defender who leads by example. In addition, the player also has attacking elements to his game and is a talented playmaker.
- Milito is the 20th Argentinian to put on the Barça shirt.
- The player’s nicknames are ‘El Mariscal’ and ‘Gaby’.
- Milito’s career was put in the balance with a serious knee injury in 2001 followed by a foot injury.
- The player almost didn’t sign for Zaragoza as he was due to sign for Real Madrid. Club doctors there were not convinced he was fully recovered from his knee injury so Zaragoza signed him instead. It is also rumoured that the Real President didn’t think that he was a big enough name to be a Galactico. Ironically he then went on to play in the team that beat Real in the Copa Del Rey that year.
- The player’s brother Diego linked up with Milito at Zaragoza where they played together for two seasons. Prior to that they were arch rivals In Argentinian football with Gaby playing for Independiente and Diego for Racing Club.
- During his time at Zaragoza the player won the Spanish Super Cup (2004-5) and the Spanish Cup (2003-4).
- At Independiente Milito won the Trofeo Apertura (2002-3).
- Milito was a member of the Argentinian team for the 1999 South American Under 20 Championship, the Confederations Cup (2005) and the World Cup (2006).
- Milito is contracted to Barcelona on a four-year deal.
Categorised in: Player Profile