Player Profile – MottaJune 13, 2007
Full name: Thiago Motta
Birthplace: Sao Bernardo, Brazil
Date of Birth: 28th August 1982
Previous Teams: Juventude, Brazil.
National Squad/Number of Appearances: Brazil/8+
Thiago Motta joined Barcelona in 1999 from the Brazilian club Juventude. Initially spotted by the then Technical Director of Youth Football for Barca, Llorenc Serra Ferrer, Motta started his career at the club for the B team. Motta made his first team competitive debut in 2001 against Mallorca. A versatile and highly rated midfielder, Motta has yet to reach his full potential following a series of unlucky injuries in recent seasons.
- Motta has dual Brazilian/Italian citizenship so he qualifies as an EU player rather than as a foreign one for the Barcelona team.
- The player’s career with Barcelona has been frustrated by intense competition for midfield places at the club and by injuries to his knee and toe as well as various muscular problems. Speculation over a move to another club is therefore fairly constant and he has recently been linked with a move to Arsenal.
- Motta is much admired for his strong physique and his versatility in midfield positions. He is strong, good in the air as he is relatively tall for a midfielder and possesses a powerful long range shot.
- Motta made his debut for the Brazilian national team in the 2003 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
- He has won two Spanish Supercups (2005-6/2006-7), two League Titles (2004-5/2005-6) and the Champions League (2005-6) with Barcelona.
- Motta can play in various midfield roles although he is considered most skilful as a defensive midfielder by many people.
Categorised in: Player Profile