Player Profile – XaviJune 20, 2007
Full name: Xavier Hernandez Crues
Birthplace: Terrassa, Spain
Date of Birth: 25th January 1980
Previous Teams: None
National Squad/Number of Appearances: Spain/43+
Xavi has spent his entire footballing career at Barcelona, joining the youth academy at the age of 11. He moved quickly through the ranks of the Youth and B Teams before making his debut for the first team in 1998 in a Spanish Supercup game against Majorca. Considered the playmaker of the team since Guardiola’s departure, Xavi can play across midfield and has great footballing vision. He is an effective attacking midfielder and can also play a holding role as necessary.
- Xavi’s success in the Barca team can be measured by the fact that he clocked up 300 games for the club by the time he was 25.
- He was Barcelona’s most used player with 36 games under his belt in the 2004-5 season.
- Although Xavi grew up in Barcelona he comes from a family of Espanyol supporters. His grandfather was the Espanyol captain in 1968 and his younger brother plays for their B team.
- His first team chance came following an injury to his hero Guardiola.
- Xavi has been third captain of the Barcelona team since 2004-5.
- He has won two Spanish Supercups (2005-6/2006-7), three League Titles (1998-9/2004-5/2005-6) and the Champions League (2005-6) with Barcelona.
- He was also a member of the winning FIFA World Youth Championship Spanish team in 1999.
- The player won a Silver Medal at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.
- Xavi is contracted to Barcelona until 2010.
Categorised in: Player Profile